"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Its gonna be a little bumpy...."

Yesterday we were flown to Atlanta, again, by Welles. I have to tell you how much I really enjoy this sweet man. He donates his time, his plane, and his compassion to Angel Flight. He did so much more than all of those things for us. When we arrived in Savannah after the previous visit, he asked me when we were flying back. He said he would look out for us and try to fly us again. I told him about this website and told him that I try to update daily on Lilah's progress.
Wednesday night Aaron spoke with Welles about our flight Thursday. He told Aaron that he has been reading the blog and loves the pictures, the music, and all. So sweet!
When we arrived at Signature, Welles was talking with my father-in-law. When we walked in the door he stood up and said, "Hi Lilah." Boy did this heart melt. Lilah had already touched his heart. We talked about the flight and made our way to the plane. Aaron and I hugged his Dad and got inside. Welles told me that my buckle should fit because I was the last one to use it.
I, jokingly, but really seriously said, "I hope its loose, so maybe I've lost weight!" It wasn't.(Darn, those 10 weeks of walking at 5 am haven't done much, yet.)
The flight on the way to Atlanta was wonderful. Lilah was perfect. No tears. She laughed the entire time. She is the sweetest, most patient baby....ever.

Mommy and Lilah en route to ATL
When we got to Atlanta my cousin Mandy was there again to pick us up. This time her son, George, came too. Lilah got a chance to bond with her cousin before and after her appointment.


When we arrived at Dr. Lee's office, Aaron and I felt like we were going to receive some good news. We thought that she seemed to be improving.

We were wrong.


Normally when we arrive at his office, I nurse Lilah and put her to sleep so he can sneak the numbing drops in and try to test her as best as possible.This time she was awake and facing him. He was excited that she was looking right at him, but saw her right eye....right away.

I told him what I had seen at Dr. Cossio's (see previous post) and I was concerned about her reflexing. I told him that I thought the FML was working to clear right cornea more.

He is very concerned because her right eye is turning in and upward and moving more. The patching hasn't strengthened her eye...yet. He is concerned that we may "lose" the right eye...meaning, the brain may have shut it off because of the opacity,lack of vision, and the moving.

He examined her right eye closely. It rolled and it took a second for him to see the iris. He asked me if I thought that her right iris was smaller than the left. I said, "Yes, I have thought that all along, but was wondering if it was just me being paranoid that her left eye was bigger and had more pressure." He looked again at Lilah's right eye, and said, "The more I see her, the more I think she has Sclerocornea." (click on the word to see definition) He showed me how the edge of the iris and the white part of the eye seem to fuse together. He said that, "in hindsight I am glad I didn't do a transplant on her because Sclerocornea patients do not transplant well."

He said that he wants me to increase her patching from 1 hour a day to 2. I told him that I am concerned because after about 30 minutes of patching...I lose her. (because there really isn't much vision...if any...in that eye at all) I said that it is almost as if she is playing a game in the dark. I asked if I could patch in smaller increments and he said that there isn't scientific results either way...so go ahead. He wants me to patch her 4 times a day for 30 minutes. During those 30 minutes, I must really work her eye. Stimulate it as much as possible with lights. I said to him jokingly,"Yeah, like I have nothing better to do than sit on the floor and play with her eyes all day." He said he was impressed at all we have done with Lilah...especially having four kids. (Does he know I don't sleep?)


He said that Lilah's left eye is awesome. I asked him if we could try and increase the FML to twice a day, in the right, to see if it would help speed up the clarity...and he said yes.

We agreed that the next best option was to go ahead and put Lilah under so he can thoroughly examine her eyes. He said he wants to get a pediatric opthalmologist friend to come in with him so they can do many tests on her eyes and determine what all is going on in her eyes. I asked him if he were to guess, what did he think her acuity would be. He said that IF her retina is good, than maybe 20/40 or 20/60, but that is only if her retina is good. (Children with Lilah's condition have damage to the retinas without any warning.) I am assuming he meant in her left eye, because that is the eye she seems to have vision from.

So, in 4-6 weeks Lilah will be going to Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta. She will be put under lite anesthesia. She will have a very thorough exam performed by two very educated people.

All of this is...a lot to take in at once. If Lilah has Sclerocornea, she could, really, be blind and only have light perception. Lilah could never have sight from her right eye...or both.
Aaron asleep on the plane. When he's stressed...he sleeps.


Praying with Lilah.

All of this information just puts more pressure on me. I am the one who patches Lilah and stimulates her eyes. I am the one who prays as I drop each drop of FML and Trusopt in her eyes. I am the one who feels at fault. I feel as though this is the result of me not doing enough.

I think I would be handling this information a little better if it weren't for everything that is on my plate.....

  • The AC in the van is still broken....Aaron will be at his Dad's, 30 minutes away, trying to fix it...again..ALL weekend. I am so tired of that piece of junk! But...at least we have no car payment.
  • Alex and Sammie start school Tuesday...at different schools.more driving.But..thank God Sammie got in
  • Lilah starts PT, OT,etc. at Backus Monday...thank God it is at the satellite office here in Pooler. (She is delayed due to her lack of vision. You'd be very surprised at how low vision can delay development!)
  • I have to reapply for SSI for Lilah...just got the Denial letter in the mail. It stated..."she does not meet the requirements for disability as defined by Social Security." OK...just HOW disabled does she need to be?
  • Cook three meals a day, loads of laundry, Drs. appointments, school starting, school shopping, clean house, be a good wife, be a good mother, be a good friend...and attempt to sleep and rest at some point.
  • I must continue to teach, love, listen, and nurture all four of my children so they can become Christ followers. I do NOT know what I would do without my faith!

I know that all of this seems...trivial. I know that I sound like I am complaining...which I am not. I am just....overwhelmed. I need people to stop asking me so many questions. I need for people to stop staring at Lilah like she is a sideshow(GS). I need a break. I need some things taken off of my plate. I need to be able to play with my kids without worrying I am not doing enough to help Lilah improve. I need to be...refreshed. I am emotionally...bankrupt.

Having a child with a VI(visually impairment) is such an emotional roller coaster. There are no definitive answers. There really just isn't. It is a constant emotional roller coaster. Constant! As much as I pray for normalcy and mundane...I will not get it. At least not my idea of normalcy.

I am trying to grasp and understand that this is my new normal. Busy. Uncertain. Scary....but at the same time...I am still holding on to my faith. I am still holding on to the HOPE that Lilah will crawl, she will walk, she will talk, she will run, she will...see. I will NOT give up! NEVER!!

I want to thank Welles for the awesome flight. I want to thank Angel Flight for the opportunity. I want to thank Mandy for picking us up. I want to thank Aaron's Dad for seeing us off, and being there to listen and be so supportive! I want to thank Rebekah for taking Alex and Eli to play, and for the yummy supper. I want to thank my Mom and Bill for watching the kids. I want to thank my Mom for being there and loving me and Lilah....without judgements. I want to thank you all for the prayers. We need them now...more than ever.

Please pray that the patching and the FML increase will clear and strengthen Lilah's right eye. Please pray that Lilah will not need muscle repair surgery. Please pray that Dr. Lee will see an improvement upon our return. Please pray that the exam will show Lilah has vision, that she is NOT blind, that she has more clarity, and that all she will need is glasses....and maybe more patching. Please pray for strength for me. Please pray for peace. Please pray that I will have confidence in my abilities to help Lilah, Alex, Sammie, and Eli. Please pray that the stress will be lifted and will be replaced by Christ's joy. I pray that this pain will go away, and my feelings of guilt will be replaced with knowing I am doing all I can do...and that the Lord will help me through it all.

I thank you all for your continuous support and love. I cannot express how much it means to me!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang on with heart and soul.
QMM

Lisa Christine said...

I take it there was turbulence...

Jennifer said...

Katie,
Take a deep breath...let is out slowly. YOU are NOT doing anything wrong...YOU are doing the best that you can to help Lilah, you are doing everything that is in your power and control to help her see. I went through the same emotions, initially blaming myself for Emily having Peters in the first place, after all she was in my womb when it developed. Then I blamed myself when the donor cornea rejected, did I not give her enough medicine? Did I not push the doctors to treat her fast enough? I still do have some feeling about whether I could have done something different, but I have to believe that I am doing what is best for her and if it was going to reject, there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. You are doing an amazing job at taking care of her, getting her the medicine and treatment that she needs and loving her! Be strong, stay strong. Us moms of VI children are AMAZING moms! We don't give ourselves enough credit for what we do, instead finding fault in all the things we wish we could do better. I know exactly how you feel...overwhelmed, emotionally exhausted, heartbroken, scared...HOPEFUL. This is a very scary rollercoaster, but I am on the same train and am here for you when you need to scream. Lilah is always in my prayers, as are you. Sclerocornea is what Emily was tentatively diagnosed with, until she had the exam under anesthesia to correctly diagnose her with Peters. I know a mom in NY who has a 2 month old with Sclerocornea in one eye, we see the same doctor and he is not recommending the transplant right now either. Please stay strong, and call me if you need to talk, vent, cry etc...Lilah WILL see! I have faith!

Lisa Christine said...

Oh goodness, there is a post with the title today. Yesterday there wasn't anything there.

OK, now I have to go read the post :)

Lisa Christine said...

Oh Katie, I am so sorry for the struggles that you are having. These things that you wrote of are not trivial, not in the least.

I remember clearly the time in my life when I felt as you described. The time when I was pregnant with Elisabeth and was trying to understand everything that was happening. The worst part was the unknown. It was just torture. I just wanted to know exactly what was going to happen so that I could be prepared. It's so hard not knowing what the future holds.

During that period in my life, I turned to hymns to find and feel peace. Here are the words to a few hymns that comforted me the most. I hope they will bring you comfort too:

"Where Can I Turn for Peace"

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?


2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.


3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

"Be Still My Soul"

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.


3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.


"Count Your Blessings"

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.


[Chorus]
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.


2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.


3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.


4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

I hope that you don't mind me sharing all of these with you. I just know that these words are what brought the greatest peace to my soul when my heart was aching, and when I was in need of comfort.

Thoughts and prayers to you,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I suspect that the only one thinking you are short on performance of your many roles, is you.

Many mothers find it difficult to ask for (more) help - is that you, too?

Believe every word of encouragement here.

Can I just say, you don't look like you need to lose weight. And can I just say, I LOVE red hair - your hubby is too cute.

My best shot here - I see a lot of reason to hope Lilah will learn all those motor skills you listed. Can't wait to read about your first few visits to Backus.

Barbara

laurie b said...

You are doing a GREAT job, KT! You did NOTHING wrong and continue to do the right thing. I can only imagine how difficult this all is for you and your whole family!
If there is EVER anyting that I am capable of doing to help you, JUST ASK!
I pray for you, daily, and just prayed exactly what you asked for!
Call me! We can talk about anything! I will try to listen more. I'm working on becoming a better sister & friend.
I am always here for you but often forget what time works best!
Let me help you! God works through people!
Always remember how much GOD LOVES YOU, Aaron, Alex, Sammie, Eli, Lilah and I do too! Laurie :)