"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Monday, August 17, 2009

Struggling to see

Rarely do I show what Lilah looks like when she is trying to see something. She grimaces, frowns, and most times looks like she's sleeping. (Hence the questions from people on whether she is asleep all the time. Yeah, I hold a past out baby on my hip...Come on people. Common Sense, please!)
Lilah works. I mean she really works hard to see things. It flat out wears her out. Patching...exhausts her. But, she's getting better.


I believe, after having some admit it to me, that many live in denial of Lilah's condition. Almost a fake reality, if you will. I am so glad that I choose to surround myself with those who accept, appreciate, and love Lilah for who she is...NOT expect her to change, or me to help them, because they cannot handle it. Here is our truth...Lilah has a vision impairment. She is different. She will always be different. But guess what.... I LOVE her differences. She has more patience and love than MOST sighted people. She loves like no other. I see little glimpses of heaven in my gorgeous girl.

I am not ashamed of Lilah. Please don't be ashamed of her. I love how awesome she is. I love how she has changed me. I love that she is changing the world. I pray for those who cannot accept her. I pray for those who cannot be around her because they cannot handle it. I pray that they will get over it. But, if they don't...we are better off without the negativity!

Thank you to those who remain helpful, loving, and accepting of our family! We love you more than you will ever know!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she is beautiful and my hearts hurts that someone can hurt you like that. You are right they are the ones to lose out. I just want to hold her and smell her sweet baby smell. You are so brave.
QMM

Kristen said...

Seriously, how do people not just oohh and ahhh over her cuteness?! The way she tips her head back and squints to try to see something. How sweet is that?! It is such a gift and a blessing that she has the desire to work hard at seeing and she's figuring out what she needs to do to focus on something. That in itself is a blessed miracle to watch and experience. I completely love and accept your Lilah, just as she is. Thanks for sharing all the parts of her with us. I like understanding her better.

Rich said...

It's common for kids to squint, tip the head left or right, or up or down. It's called a null point. Before I had glasses, threw school, I used to look threw the top of my eyes. :)

Love all your photos...

BoomerSooner said...

I love this post... Maddy's eyes are so small too people do the whole...aww she is so sleepy comments to me all the time! I think Lilah is beautiful and so lucky to have you! Do you want to move to Oklahoma city???

MamaBass said...

It just baffles me that people don't absolutely fall in love with Lilah right off the bat. I haven't even had the pleasure of seeing her in person, and I think she is a DOLL!!!! How people can be so ignorant and oblivious to their own actions is beyond me. You are right - surround yourselves with positivity only. The rest of them - who needs 'em? xoxo - Christy M