"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A GREAT Day!

Today started off very early for me.
Lilah woke up at 3, so I nursed her back to sleep. When I left her room, my mind was racing. I knew what I needed to do. I grabbed my Bible and started to read scripture. I read verse after verse on Trust.
Exodus.
Psalms.
Proverbs.
At 4 I laid back down to try to get more sleep. The alarm went off at 5:30. I got up, started the coffee, and began to pray again.
I felt PEACE. I was nervous, but knew it was in God's hands.
The picture above shows Lilah closing her right eye to get more sight from her left.
I want to begin by saying thank you to Neena for watching Alex, Sammie, and Eli while we went to Atlanta. I also want to thank my cousin, Mandy, for picking us up at the airport, taking us to the appointment, and taking us back to the airport.
Ladies, we are so grateful!
Mandy, Me, Aaron, and Lilah
We arrived at the airport at 7:15. My father-in-law, who is a pilot for the hospital helicopter, was talking to the pilot, Welles Murphey. What a sweet man! When we met him he stuck his hand out to shake mine and I said, "Thank you SO much for doing this for us" as I gave him a BIG hug!
Welles said we should go so we headed to the plane.




Welles, Aaron, Lilah and I before take-off

The weather was great. The flight was so nice...and quick.
45 minutes airtime.

Welles note to us before we landed.


As we flew, I prayed and prayed. I asked God to give me wisdom to ask the right questions, tell Dr. Lee all that was happening with Lilah, and peace to know it would all be OK.


My bracelet.
HOPE, courage, FAITH


This is what I saw out of my window.


Heaven on Earth. I felt God at this moment!


Daddy and Lilah



Mommy and Lilah

When we got to the airport Mandy was waiting with a big smile on her face. We got in her car and rode to Dr. Lee's office. When we got inside Susan, Dr. Lee's receptionist, asked me if we flew today. I said , "Yes." (Thanks Susan for rescheduling our appointment to make this work.)
I got Lilah to sleep right as we were called in. Dr. Lee came into the room and I spoke about a mile a minute. I told him everything that I had on my mind and I asked a million questions.
I told Dr. Lee that Lilah's eyes were focusing so well together. I told him that her right eye seems to be very, very slowly clearing. I told him that Lilah's right eye seems to drift upward and inward slightly when not being stimulated.
He decided to try the corneal thickness test first. This looks like a pen with a clear point on the end. He places the point on her eye to determine her corneal thickness. He got the readings from both eyes and said, "WOW." He said , "That's amazing."
*When Lilah was 4 weeks old her corneas were 1083*
Today her corneas are 520left eye and 579 right eye. (Normal is 500!)
THANK GOD!
Let me tell you how HARD Lilah fought us to get these readings. Scott, Dr. Lee's assistant, held her head with two hands. I held one arm down and Aaron held the other. Lilah was screaming mad!!
He tried to get her pressures and got 13R and 22L BUT she was squeezing her eyes shut. he said the left measurement is probably lower. He said that the Trusopt(Glaucoma prevention drops) must be working!
I reminded Dr. Lee that he took Lilah off of the FML drops(helped clear left cornea) 8 weeks ago. I asked him if we could try again on the right to see if it would help clear it more and he said, "Why not, its worth a shot! Put one drop in her right eye every morning."
Another try with the FML to clear her right cornea....THIS makes me VERY excited!
We decided it was time to start patching.
I will put a patch over Lilah's Left eye(the better eye) in hopes to strengthen her Right(weaker eye) for 1 hour everyday.
I pray, and am asking for TONS of prayers, that the combination of the FML and patching will clear and strengthen that right eye.
I asked Dr. Lee what he thought about the transplant as of today. He said, "The rule of thumb in the Academy is that is you get one eye to clear without surgery than you don't want to do a transplant on the other." He said he will probably not do a transplant on her right eye...EVER!
(Children who have transplants usually get glaucoma and have multiple surgeries and can have many complications.) Lilah is VERY blessed to not have had to have the transplants. Thank you for the many prayers.....PRAYERS ANSWERED!!!
We go back to Dr. Lee on 8/27/09
He will recheck her pressures and thickness again. If he cannot get an accurate reading he will schedule Lilah for the exam where she is put under anesthesia for the first week of September.
(Aaron and I will celebrate 10 years married. 17 years together in September. What a great Anniversary present it would be to know our baby's eyes are doing so much better.)
A GREAT visit!!
Good news.
Another chance.

Lilah and AMAZING Dr. Lee!
Congrats on your new baby girl Addison!

We love you, Dr. Lee!!!



I will NEVER give up HOPE!
I will NEVER quit believing that Lilah WILL be fully healed!



Lilah hanging on to the HOPE necklace around my neck!

****We came home to a fully cooked meal from my friend, Laura. Thank you for the chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, fun drink, and my FAVORITE... Tiramisu. AWESOME***

Enjoy a video of us on the plane!



Miracles DO happen!
Thank you for the prayers...God is answering them!!
THANK YOU ANGEL FLIGHT!!!
THANK YOU WELLES!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! What great news!!! Praise God...AGAIN!!! And I love the pics - I think my fav is Lilah grabbing your hope necklace. You know, Erin B. had vision problems growing up also and also had to have a patch when we were little - but she sees just fine now - so I really believe that lilah will too.
Love you guys!
~Jenny W

Anonymous said...

Oh what wonderful new. Thanks so much for putting the results up so soon. Once you get to following a person struggling, your heart is always waiting to hear good new.
Blessings
QMM

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful, too, for the fast and detailed post! Have to say my fav pic is the first one of the two of you.

Prayers answered!

I.am.feeling.very.good.now.
Thanks, Katie!

BoomerSooner said...

I am so glad for you guys! Thought about you all day today. I want to know more about what he thinks her visual acuity might be? email me soon. Love the pictures by the way.

Lisa Christine said...

I'm all smiles for you :) oh happy day!

Anonymous said...

Katie, thanks for asking. My blog for Wednesday 7/29 describes my daughter's emergency surgery. Blessings
QMM

Jennifer said...

Wonderful News Katie! I love your pic's. Especially the ones of you, your husband and Lilah on the plane, and the one of her holding your necklace...just so sweet and inspirational!

I was thinking about you all day yesterday, praying for good news!

Rich said...

Unless I missed it, do you know about Miracle Flights for Kids? www.miracleflights.org - they do med flights for little or not cost for children.

And, not to be rude, I love your blog. Centered text and changing font sizes in mid stream is very annoying when you have nystagmus. :-)