"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Some Reassurance

After waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....(God is teaching me patience)

Dr. Lee called at 8:10 this morning. He was SO sweet. He apologized for calling so early. I said, "I have 4 kids. I am up at 5:30." He apologized for not calling sooner. I thanked him for calling...MANY times. I told him I would try to be quick and not take much of his time.

I told him how and when Lilah's eyes are moving. I told him I wasn't sure if the intermittent nystagmus was getting worse. I told him that:
  • I notice that even though her left eye is clearer, she can focus better when on her right side. (he said keep her on her right side...to make them stronger)
  • When she is on her back looking straight at you her eyes move more.
  • She really doesn't like to be on her left side.
  • I try to work with her on both sides, but her eyes are stronger when she is facing the right
  • I know I am a worried mother, but I am new to having a child with a disability
  • I made an appointment with Dr.D and didn't want to go because he is not "hopeful and encouraging like you"

Dr. Lee told me to watch it closely (if he only knew how much I do already) for the next few weeks and if it is worse we would need to bump up the appointment. We talked about the clarity of her left eye and how her right eye could end up a "lazy eye." He said not to go see Dr. D because there "probably isn't really anything he can do." I told him I was taking some of my kids to the pediatrician today (sounds like I have 10 or something) and I would ask him to look. He said that sounded good.

.....2.5 hours later.....

Dr. Cossio walked in the exam room, for Sammie and Eli's well visits, and he said, "How's the baby?" (God is awesome ...how he asked without me telling first)

I said funny you ask, I am worried that her intermittent nystagmus has gotten worse. I told him about Dr. Lee's call, not wanting to see negative Dr.D, and asked if he'd take a look. And he did!

He looked and looked. We turned off the lights and opened the door (Lilah does better in soft light) He looked and looked some more. Dr. Cossio said, "I don't think it's worse." I said, "You don't?" He said, " No."

I told Dr.Cossio that Dr. Lee said her right eye could go lazy, and he said, "I don't think it will. I think she's going to be great!" God, I love this man!

I take Lilah for her 6 month visit in 13 days. I will have him look again. If she hasn't worsened, we will see Dr. Lee on 6-25-09.

So, BIG prayers for....

  • her eyes to get stronger and STOP wandering
  • clearer right cornea
  • Mommy to have peace, strength, and above all TRUST
  • Lilah to be healed...completely

By the way...Dr. Cossio mentioned Lilah was BIG...I put her on his scale...20.4lbs!!! My girl may not see well, but her taste buds are GREAT!

6 comments:

Heather Wingate said...

Katie and Aaron,I found the following in a book tonight. When I read it I immediately thought of you and Lilah. God is here in the midst of the storm to give you peace. God is here during trials and temptations to give you guidance. God is here through turmoil and strife to give you patience. God is here among prejudice and hatred to give you love. God is here whenever things aren't going right to give you hope. God is here when you give up on your dreams to give you faith. At any time and in any situation, you are never alone. God is always here. Love, Heather Wingate

Poppa said...

Katie shared with me her concerns over Lilah's nystigmus and I have since been praying that Jesus guide her and that God would grant her courage and strength to understand His will. I pray each morning and afternoon as I go past my church and this AM, my prayers were specifically for Lilah's eyes to be touched. At work when I first read Katie's posting, I wept, openly, my God is truly great and He answers all of our prayers, in His time. I will thank Him again this afternoon for all of our blessings....especially this one. Love, Poppa

Anonymous said...

Hi, Katie. Thanks so much for posting this 'positive' visit with a physician. They all aren't bad - as I know you realize by seeing your sidebar.

I believe God works through our healthcare providers. Looks like you had some prayers answered today.

There are so many earthly (God-given) reasons to hope for Lilah's vision to improve.

If you are interested, I will send you some other blog urls - of parents whose babies have vision challenges. Just comment here, and I will send an email to you. Barbara

Katie said...

Barbara,
I would LOVE to talk to some other parents. Most times I feel very alone in all of this. Other than God, I do not feel understood. I know that each child with a disability is different, but I would love to have someone to ask questions to that might understand more. THANKS!

allison said...

Thanks for the update! Whenever I think about you looking into her eyes, I think about your faith...which is amazing. Then...I think that each time you look into her eyes, its like you are "treating" them with your faith...which is, in reality, directly attached to GOD. You are doing a fantastic job!! (I hope this post finally works.)

Lisa Christine said...

So sorry that I am late reading this post! (I was busy ironing...lol!)

Anyways, it sounds encouraging. I love that your pediatrician is a positive man. That makes such a difference, doesn't it?!

Also, I was wondering if Lilah is receiving any kind of early intervention services to help her since she is disabled? I can't remember if you had mentioned it before or not.

Have a great memorial day weekend :)