"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Friday, February 17, 2012

A part of their world

Wednesday we went to tour GIS preschool and watch how Lilah would do in a classroom setting.


The director of GIS told me that right now they are fully booked, and that they are booked for next year as well.

She asked me what my goals were for Lilah and I explained that I do NOT want Lilah treated "differently." I do not want Lilah "catered" to. I want Lilah to be challenged. I am aware that Lilah will need some help in areas. She cannot see like you and I , but the more we push her the farther she will go.

Lilah spent about an hour in the class. She really enjoyed being with the other children. She was a part of their snack time and circle time.

Lucky for Lilah we toured on their "party" day. Lilah got to decorate a sugar cookie with icing.
Lilah sat in the bean table next to Sydney. We know Sydney well. I have photographed Sydney and LOVE her Mom and Grandma VERY much.

Look at these two cutie pies together
One of the most ironic or coolest things was the teachers names. Two ladies: Allison and CJ.

What a God thing I thought...one of my sisters names in Allison and her son is CJ.


Lilah had a great time.


The director did tell me that if a spot opened for next year that she didn't think Lilah was ready for the 3 year old class. The class Lilah is age appropriate for. She said that she thinks Lilah would need to be in the older 2 year old class. Even though she was very nice, she shot it to me straight. They were very welcoming and would accommodate Lilah IF a spot opened...

hearing that your child isn't ready to be in the classroom that she is "age appropriate" for....stings.


This is where I am going to be HONEST.


This part of it feels almost like "dodge ball picking." See, I called the preschool where my older children attended and asked if they would have Lilah in their school. No call back. Broke my heart! I wanted Lilah to walk across that stage in her little white graduation outfit...just like the older girls did.


They didn't call us back. Why? Yes, I know why. But, it still really hurt.


Now GIS says that IF a spot opens they want her to be in a lower grade class.

I am trying SO hard to focus on all the positives. Lilah IS improving. DAILY! Lilah may make a HUGE jump by the time the classes start in September. I mean just think of all the advances she has made in the last 2-3 months. Walking, more communication, following directions, listening skills, and more.

Then the other part of me is just sad. Sad that the "high school dramatics" are being played out at 3. "Who likes me, wants me, will appreciate me for who I am...allow me to just try. Give me a chance to show you what I CAN do?"

Lilah WANTS to be a part of it all...
This is her waiting for the door to open so she could check it all out....


Even holding my finger dancing around in circles....

I want what ANY parent wants...their child to be included...be a part of the world, be loved, appreciated, understood, accepted, given a shot, allowed to try, challenged.

I don't want her in a special needs ONLY class. I want her with "typical" children. The harder I push her, the farther she gets. The more I ask of her, the more she does. The more I expect her to behave like "typical" children, the more she will.

When will she given these opportunities?

Ever?

Never?


This is NOT good enough for me. I will continue to fight to get her to be involved.


Proof:

I asked the Karate instructor last night if we could begin one-on-one teaching for Lilah so she can be class ready. She starts Karate lessons next week.

Who else will allow her to be part of their world?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi.
I'm new to Lilahs Hope.
Lilaha is so brave as are you.
My wife and I will Pray for Lilah's Hope, and you. May God Bless and keep Lilah and you on your Journey.

I'm Joey's father in law.

Elizabeth said...

I feel the same way. My son goes to a special preschool but there are typically developing peers that attend as well. I don't want him to go to the public school preschool where he will be among only kids with special needs. So he will stay where he is, we love it and they love him, until he can't be there anymore. It will be 2 years next month since he started there.

Nikki Izzard said...

Keep fighting for her!