"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Little Gifts



I spent the ENTIRE afternoon (12-5:30) at the Health Department and the Social Security office.

Now, I was not looking forward to this adventure.

I lost, yes, somehow I actually did, 5 out of 6 of our SS cards. I am not sure how. I SEARCHED my home, my van, my attic....EVERYTHING. Also missing were Alex and Eli's Birth certificates.(Thank God they were both born locally.)


So, I knew I had to bite the very large bullet and get them all replaced. Not to mention, I have been putting off applying for disability for Lilah...for many reasons. (Most of which, I have struggled with acceptance that my baby girl has a disability.) BUT, the time had come to take care of all of it.


The Lord made the path REALLY easy.



My friend watched the older three for me so I wouldn't have to take them all over town.
  • THANK YOU NEENA!
  • Thank you to the kind receptionist at Dr. Cossio's office...thanks for the "GIFT."
  • Thank you to the nice lady at the Health Department
  • Thank you to the FAST and efficient man at the SS office

  • Thank you to Penny at Dr. Lee's office for staying late and faxing over important info



  • Thank you to the VERY nice, VERY patient, VERY kind woman at the SS office who is trying to expedite Lilah's case. What a blessing!

  • Thank you to the retired veteran who placed his hands on Lilah and prayed for her...truly a GOD thing!

  • Thank you, Lord, in advance for all that you have planned for Lilah.

I was warned that Lilah will probably get denied. Even with 6 of us on one income. If we don't get it, oh well, I tried. But, if we do...what a blessing it would be to have that extra help to cover Lilah's meds, trips to Atlanta, and more. So, I will leave it to the Lord.

Just had to share all the little gifts God gave me yesterday. They were little BUT to me they were HUGE!

3 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

This brings back memories of my trip to the SS office to apply for Elisabeth last summer. What a horrible experience. I had spent forever and a day filling out the application and collection all the medical info (doctors, surgeries, diagnoses, hospital stays, etc.) Seriously, I put a few weeks into it. And then they pretty much laughed in my face and rejected me because we earned way to much. But why couldn't they just put a little chart up on their website showing how much you can earn/month so I didn't waste my time? Anyways, on with my story....
A friend and neighbor of mine works at the SS office. She came over to my house that night; we had seen eachother there, but she wasn't the one assigned to my case. She told me that after I left the woman who had been 'helping' me went up to her and said "I wonder why they kept her in the first place". She couldn't understand why I wouldn't have aborted her when I found out about her problems so early on.

I was angry that she had said that, but even more so I was sad for her.

I am glad to hear that your experience went so much better :)

(sorry for my downer of a story)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Katie! Sorry I have not been around for a while. I will for sure be thinking of you and your family all day tomorrow! (Thinking=praying in this case.)

No offense to Lisa, but I want to congratulate you on the positive post about dealing with a government agency - for posting thanksgiving. And for realizing that how much money comes from the government is not what is most important.

I know Lisa realized that, too, but her anger is justified when others judge her decision to give Elizabeth life. So many are literally upside-down on that issue. Perhaps we should pray for them as well.

In my series on BIGgovernmenthealthcare I RECOMMEND that everyone apply for Medicaid/SSI for their children - even if rejection is expected.

There's learning in attempting that process - learning about the system and for the government to learn just how many children are NOT supported by public money.

My apologies for the long comment. Bless you both.
Barbara

Jennifer said...

Katie,
Just before Emily had her first cornea transplant in January of last year I spent HOURS online filling out the SSI application. I made special arrangements for my other 2 children to stay with a friend while I went to the SS office. I drove all the way there, sat in the waiting area for over an hour and spent just about 30 seconds in front of the case worker only to find out that I would be denied because of income. I didn't even give her any of Emily's medical information or explain her situation at all. Their first question is what is your income and how large is your family. Why can't they put up an income chart? That would have made my life so much easier and saved me alot of precious time. I was so hurt and sad that the goverment can't look at each case BEFORE they make a decsion on eligibility. Peters is sooooooo rare, you would think that would be taken into consideration..not just a $$$ amount. Who gets to decide those income levels anyway? Who sits at a desk and says "ok...if you make X amount of $$ you can afford to have a child with alot of medical problems? It's very frustrating.

I hope you can qualify! Please let me know how it turns out. :)