"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

So much to tell...

I don't even know where to start with this one. Ha, honesty. Did you expect anything less from me?

A few months ago the talk of PSI( pre-school intervention) came up at Lilah's therapies. As of November Lilah will no longer be treated by Babies Can't Wait.(The early intervention program) On her third birthday, this November, Lilah will age out of BCW, and she will enter the PSI system.
I have been very fearful of this because I have heard horror stories of the IEP(Individualized Education Plan) meetings here in my county. I know that there can be some that are wonderful, but the ones I have heard about seem like the Mother alone staring down the death squad. I was, quite honestly, VERY nervous.



Today Lilah had her introduction to PSI meeting.


Aaron came! YAY! His first meeting! It was great for him to be a part of this. I didn't feel so alone. I didn't feel so intimidated. And He got to sit in and understand what all I am talking about( poor guy looked a little overwhelmed when we were done)
When we got there, Dawn, Lilah's BCW coordinator, was out front and walked us back to meet Catherine, Lilah's PSI Liaison. (But before that, we went to the school nurse and they tested Lilah's hearing...perfect.) Catherine was so sweet and easy to get along with.
We talked about Lilah's therapies now, what we hope that she will have, what she will need, and then we talked about her Doctors. Well, the topic of Dr. D came up. Catherine said it was the 2ND time in one day that she had heard how mean he is to his patients. I told her the entire story start to finish of Lilah's encounters with him, specifically what happened to us in the hospital...and her eyes filled with tears. She said, "Someone needs to do something about him. That makes me so sad." ( But, I said those words, without crying, without tears, and I was strong)
I smiled a LOT through the meeting. Told of Lilah's successes, and talked about how even though she is delayed, she is hitting those milestones, even if it is a year behind those her "age" and where I would really like to see her. I also asked for the continuation of "many therapies" because it is obvious the "sponge has been soaking and is now understanding."


Here is what I mean by that...

Just yesterday, ALONE, Lilah said ,"na, na, na, na" without prompting as I put bananas into the grocery cart. Then I got the girls early from school after Alex's awards program( GO Alex! Honor Roll for the entire 2ND grade year! That's my girl!!) and we went to the pool. At the pool, which Lilah LOVES, we swam, Lilah blew bubbles, she made the sound, "k, k, k" for kick when I asked her to kick. Then, I carried her to the baby pool(1.5 foot deep) I decided to let her "swim" alone with her swimmers on. (I was right there, but I wanted to give her freedom to see what she might do, without being attached to me) Lilah shocked us all. She was bobbing in the water, then all of a sudden out of no where, WITHOUT holding on....she STOOD! Yes, you read those words correct. NOT a typo. Lilah Hope Sharp stood ALONE!!!!
I was shocked. I was screaming. I sat there in AWE of my child. What? My mind raced. REALLY?!? God, really!?! Did that just happen???
And then she did it again, and again, and AGAIN. My friend, Marci, came from SC to visit and she saw the entire thing too. Alex, Sammie, and Eli were cheering. It was INCREDIBLE.
I looked over at Marci and said, "I know where I am coming EVERY day this summer."

I just cannot put into words my thoughts and emotions right now. Seriously, I am beside myself with joy. My HOPE has always been that Lilah would be a HAPPY, healthy, independent child. My HOPE has always remained constant that God would heal her, guide her, heal ME, help ME to understand that even though I didn't pick this path for my child, for my family, for my life...it has been the BIGGEST blessing. I don't just see things happen with my kids and say, "oh, that is great." NO, Lilah has blessed me by pushing more of the me than I ever thought I could be. I am present. I am there!! I don't take ANYTHING for granted. I SCREAM with JOY when they ALL(4)do things that I am proud of. I stand up for them. I fight for them. I support them. I never let a moment go by without thanking God for placing them in my care. He chose me. He chose me to watch these gifts. He chose me to ADVOCATE for Lilah. And in the moments(this morning even) when I am WEAK and fearful and scared and worried...I place my faith, my trust, my HOPE and my assurance in HIM...and I am grateful.


Wow, God is so, VERY good!

and all God's people said," AMEN!"

1 comment:

Logger said...

A Great Big BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I love swimming pools more than ever. Way to GO Lilah and Alex. Katie, now you will have a real tan. Poppa is very pruod of his girls. Way to be strong Katie. Your strength has all made all of us stronger. God is truly GREAT