"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Monday, February 22, 2010

Sometimes the most unlikely people become heroes

Do you know where the title of this post comes from?
It comes from a movie made in 1985.
I remember watching this movie over, and over, and over. I fell in love with The Mask for so many reasons. (I was 7 when the movie came out.Yep...I told my age!) I remember being intrigued with all the side stories.
A little back story...Rocky has a major facial deformity and he is the most amazing young man. He is kind, considerate, passionate, caring, giving...and he never lets his difference slow him down.
Midway through the movie Rocky goes to a camp and meets, Diana, a beautiful blind girl. She explains to him that she needs to touch to "see." She asks Rocky if she can touch his face so she can "see" him in her mind. Reluctant he agrees. Diana slowly moves her fingers across his very large face. Rocky is panicking inside, but Diana is smiling. She tells him that he is beautiful to her.
As the story goes on...Diana tells Rock she doesn't understand the differences between hot, cold, billowy, white, red, blue...the list goes on...and on...and on. So, Rocky comes up with some very neat ideas on how to help Diana "see" this world better. After touching and feeling several items...Diana says, "I understand."
I want to be Lilah's Rocky!
I am asking everyone who meets Lilah to try to be her Rocky. Lilah needs to hear what our world is really like. She needs to "see" it as we see it.
Imagine if you will...
I don't know Lilah...I am asked to watch her...I go about my business and treat Lilah as if she can see everything I am doing and why I am saying and doing certain things. I pick her up, without a word, lay her on the changing table, take her clothes off and am amazed at why she is crying so loud and so strong. I change her quickly and become frustrated because she is still crying.
THIS is where the Mama bear comes out in me....
If I were to blindfold you and all of a sudden lay you down and begin to take your clothes off, without telling you why...wouldn't you...um...for a lack of better words...FREAK OUT?
Imagine how Lilah feels. Imagine what is going through her head as she experiences life.
Imagine what she misses...that we take for granted because we can see.
  • how did food get on my tray?
  • does food come from the sky?
  • why is she putting me in this water?
  • I like to splash...this is fun. What is this?
  • This room sounds different. Where are we?
  • I don't hear my Mommy. I am scared. Where is she? Where am I?
  • I hear Alex laughing. What makes her so happy? I laugh to because it must be great.
  • I hear Eli scream. I am scared. I scream too.
  • I hear Sammie loudly asking for a toy. I love her, but I am worried when she's loud.
  • I feel my Daddy's "wiskies" and I giggle with excitement. I sure do love him.
  • I hear my Mommy's voice. I kick my feet with excitement. I feel safe with her.

The list goes on...and on...and on.

In order for Lilah to really understand. We must talk to her. Talk, talk, TaLk, tAlK, TALK!

I want her to experience this life to the fullest. I want her to be confident knowing she can face any obstacle set before her. I want her to "see" it all.

And what I know...from Diana in The MASK ...is...that Lilah will "see" this life far more amazing than we have ever seen it ourselves.

3 comments:

MSB said...

Katie...I love that movie. I remember seeing it when I was very young, too and being struck by the fact that it was a true story.

God chose you for Lilah. He has a very specific plan for her and for you...I can't wait to watch it unfold and hopefully even be a part of it from time to time!

Lisa Christine said...

I think the main thing that we can learn from that movie is that our handicaps don't define us or determine our happiness.

I'll never forget talking with a blind woman a few months after I learned of Elisabeth's visual impairment. She told me that being blind is 'nothing more than an inconveniece'. She was still experiencing and loving life to it's fullest, and I know Lilah will too!

In regards to your comment on my post:
It only takes me a minute or so to twist the hair into ringlets...and then Lorelai is free to go and play. I just tell her not to do anything like lay on them or do somersaults, but she doesn't have to sit still. In fact, I think it drives faster when she's off running around and playng.

When we took the pictures yesterday I called her back in to take one after they dried....but it does appear that she has been sitting there waiting the entire time, doesn't it? lol....that would never happen! She has way too much energy!

Felicia Garrett (Briley's Madre) said...

I've really loved looking through Lilah's pictures! She is truly beautiful and just has this amazing aura about her. Your post is very inspiring to me as a mother of a child who is legally blind. I read somewhere a blind woman said that being blind isn't the difficult part because she never knew anything different but navigating a world made convenient by seeing people for seeing people is the difficult part. The same sentiment is there in your post and we truly do have to be our children's navigators in that world. Thank you for your inspiring post!