"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Monday, November 7, 2011

I ran a MARATHON!

Do you remember me telling you that I was training to run my first marathon(26.2 miles) for Lilah? Do you remember me telling you about my fear for that race? Probably not. I was nervous. I was scared to put my feet to the pavement and actually run 26.2 miles.

My sweet friend, Melissa, who ran my first 5K and first 1/2 marathon(13.1) drove from D.C. to run with me. We had been writing, Facebooking, and calling each other to keep up and help each other stay accountable.

On November 5, 2011 at 3:30 am I woke up and got ready for the marathon. I prayed, I drank my coffee, and I asked God to lead me as I ran these miles for my girl. I also wrote names of people I wanted to pray for on my left forearm. I kept myself focused on them as I ran.

I will tell you the truth. As someone who ran her first 5K 18 months ago, then her first 10K, then her first half marathon. The marathon was one of the hardest things I have ever done.


We started the race at a great pace. It was cool almost FREEZING. But, that was great. It enabled us to get into a pretty steady rhythm without burning out too fast. At mile 7 I heard my name and there was my friend, Lauren with her husband Chase and their children cheering us on. I lifted my hand up and signed, "I love you" and kept running. Thank you, Durrence Family for cheering us on!

At mile 11.6 the half-marathoners parted to the right and we went up the on-ramp to continue on. At about 13 miles we saw the winner on the other side of the highway on his last few miles. (little did we know the torture that was waiting for us at that exact point)

Melissa will be the first to tell you that I cried a LOT during this race. At mile 18 I felt as if I was a failure. I was hitting the wall. My shoe laces were tied too tight and I had to stop and loosen them. We had just past Heather, Lilah's speech therapist, who had come out to cheer us on. Thank you, Heather, for showing me your face and cheering me on!

At mile 23 I had to walk...a lot more than I wanted. That mile was hard we were running on the on-ramp to the Truman Parkway into a strong headwind....this was the torture I was talking about.

At mile 25 my friend, Liz, who ran my first half marathon with me and Melissa, and trained many miles with me...was working the water station. She cried and hugged us and I just couldn't speak. I was SO emotional. So full of pain, fear, ready to see my family. I was too full of emotions to even utter a sound or a smile, but I did cry as I hugged her.

With every ounce of my being I started back into a slow run...then I heard his voice...

there he was, my sweet husband, with my camera, calling out my name, and Melissa pointed....
(here we are about .2 from the finish line)
as I ran past him I began to cry as I held up my sign, "I LOVE YOU" to my husband.
at this point I heard him say, "Lilah's down there." I began to cry harder. I looked through the sea of people and then I saw her, and Alex, Sammie, and Eli...with my Mom, my friend, Rachel and there was Heather, Lilah's Speech therapist, too.
Here I am with my muse, my inspiration, my HOPE after crossing 26.2 miles for her.


Hugging my Mom as I held my miracle was a very emotional moment.

And here we are "Team HOPE" with our inspiration. We did it! 26.2 miles!
(you can see the names on my arm. if you look close. of all of those people I prayed for)

Melissa,
I cannot even begin to thank you enough for what you have encouraged me to do...
You coached me through my first 5K, encouraged me to run my first half-marathon, then agreed to run a full marathon with me. I know I wanted to give up a LOT. I know I am not the easiest person to run with. What you have done with me, and for me, and for my girl...priceless. You gave me confidence and courage to finish...and we did it holding hands. Many times you could have completed this race in such a faster time than we did. Many times you could have given up on me, and I am sure you wanted to. Thank you for coming back to me and pushing me to fight.
I love you. I am grateful to you....more than you will ever know.
Much love and many thanks!
Katie


And here I am stretching post-race...medal on...and my sweet girl crawling to me.
This was written on my leg and many people commented as we ran the last few hard miles. Many people said, "YES! I can do all things though HIM who gives me strength."
I am proof that this verse is true. 18m ago I ran my first 5K in 39minutes, then my first 10K in 61minutes, my first half-marathon in 2:26:00 and then I completed my first full marathon in 4:50:20. ( my goal was not to run for over 5 hours and we made it in under 5...to me, that is huge )

I want you all to know that when you put Jesus as the center of your life, you CAN do anything. Have you ever heard of Team Hoyt? A very disabled child asked his father, via typing, to run a marathon for him...this father trained and trained and eventually ran an Ironman pushing and pulling his disabled adult son. His son asked and his father responded...and showed his son...I CAN!

Lilah hasn't asked me to run, but I run for her because I see her fight at therapy. I see her fear. I use that as inspiration for me to push myself harder and faster then I ever thought I could. I run because Lilah cannot at this stage of her life. But, I CAN. I want Lilah to know that her Mama was fighting just as hard as she was...and I was scared too. When the day comes and Lilah tells me that I have no idea how hard it is, I will tell her she is right. I don't have any idea. But, I did do hard things for her and I didn't give up...even when I wanted to. I want her to know that her Mama was fighting just as hard and just as tired and just as exhausted. I want her to see that I was there...right there....never giving up HOPE.

No comments: