"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Saturday, January 22, 2011

HOPE for a future!

After Lilah's diagnosis, at 18 hours old, no one told me of all the things that Lilah COULD be able to do in her lifetime. This blog has allowed me to "meet" so many people that have helped me on my journey.

After asking repetitively for help, for guidance, for information to help Lilah, Barbara (click on her name to view her page) directed me to Richard Favinger's blog. Rich is an awesome legally blind photographer. Yes, you read that right. (click on his name to see his work. Click on the word "blog" after to view his blog) Rich teaches Judo to visually impaired children in Pennsylvania and he also happens to have a great "eye" in photography. Rich gave me LOTS of advice about Lilah, photography, and he also helped me "see" in many more ways than I originally did.

Rich stopped blogging, and commenting as much, and I knew why....he found LOVE!


He "introduced" me to his girlfriend, Kit, through Facebook. Kit is a scuba diver. A blind scuba diver. I was able to "chat" with Kit and learn from her. One of the most simple, but "eye opening" things was when the two were "laughing" on Facebook about Kit "waving around a hot device to straighten her hair, oh and did I mention that she is blind." That little comment opened my eyes to realize that no matter what Lilah would still want to feel beautiful like all girls do. She would want to put make-up on, play with her hair, jewelry and more. I made sure to tell Kit and Rich each time they helped me "see" more clearly for Lilah.

Well, a few months ago, I got a message from Rich that he wanted my advice. I was shocked. Me? Why me? And then I scrolled down the page and saw it....it was a ring. He wanted my thoughts on if I liked the ring choice for Kit. I immediately got goosebumps. "YAY! They are getting engaged!", I thought. I wrote back to Rich several times and told him my thoughts and he told me exactly why he had chosen this ring for her....because she could actually SEE the contrast in it. I was SO honored that he asked for my thoughts. I know that, to him, he was just getting another woman's perspective, but to me...it was so much more.

I had HOPE for Lilah. That one day she would find LOVE and be LOVED in return.

Recently Rich and Kit were interviewed. Click HERE to see it!

Their story made me CRY. Their story brings me such JOY and HOPE for my girl. Not only can she do ANYTHING she wants, but she will also be LOVED...and will someday marry.

Congratulations Rich and Kit! And thank you for bringing such HOPE to me and my family...and to all who read this blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Katie! Thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for this story on Rich and Kit! Rich still sends me email, too - which I so appreciate because I am not on fb. (Are you reading, Rich?)

My blog habits have changed a bit, too, as I now spend time on twitter. Know that I will keep your blog bookmarked as long as you have it!

Now to look at Lilah's progress!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

With your love and support, your beautiful Lila has a bright future. I know something about it - I was a blind baby, grew up to be a visually impaired adult, and now I'm a blind old man, who at the age of 50-something took up photography and at 60 am looking forward to my first guide dog. Always something new, whatever changing fortunes have brought with them.

Before that, I'd gone to ordinary school and went on to ordinary university, then into social work and disability rights. I've been married for nearly 30 years, have been an English teacher in the Middle East, built up a small backyard farm, and have been a keen cyclist. I still tend a small garden, and hope to find a tandem partner soon so that I can resume cycling.

Lila will not do all the things I have, but she will do other things that will give her and you rich rewards. It's a long road, yes, but that's true of everybody.

Very best wishes to you and Lila.