"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sensory Experiences

When Lilah wakes up in the morning this is what I see..

Then I open the blinds...
and let Lilah experience the light in her room.

She is always so happy when I walk in.
I say, "Good Morning, Lilah."
....and she kicks her legs with excitement


Everything in Lilah's room is there for a sensory purpose.

Lilah has two mirrors in her crib.

One has toys that hang from it that she plays with and shakes.
The other has a lip that she slides her fingers under to feel the fabric...and it plays a little tune.



My favorite thing is to watch her little hands explore.



I want to make sure Lilah gets the most out of her PT, OT and VT.
So...I came up with another idea to practice...
and a little early O&M(orientation and mobility)...
Because Lilah's depth perception is off...
I knew she would have a hard time learning to pull up in her crib.
The slats are spaced apart just so...that she probably feels like she is watching a bad 3D movie where she cannot touch anything...She probably feels like this with most of her experiences.
So...I wanted to give her another clue as to where the top of the railing was...
I attached this:

When I go to get Lilah from her crib, I make a point to tell her where the top is, jingle the bells and pat on the railing.
She LOVES the sound of the bells.
She listens for a few seconds and then...


She reaches for them.


The bells themselves are full of sensory stimulation.
  • red band with Velcro
  • silver bells that are cold and shiny
  • when Lilah pulls hard enough the band will come off and Lilah can play with them

I believe that everything is a learning experience.

My mission is to help Lilah learn and experience this life to the fullest!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the little ponytail in the top post! Sooooo cute!

This post is lovely and full of motherly love. And sweet exploration by Lilah. Thank you for sharing her beauty and development with us!

Barbara