"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Place in Space

****HONESTY ALERT****

Most people with "normal" vision don't understand why it takes Lilah SO long to learn a new skill.

I have heard enough people say, "I thought is was just her eyes" so many times that I can feel myself cringe. I have learned to take that feeling and channel it into a teachable moment.

So, this morning as I got Lilah dressed and ready to go for a full day of OT, PT, OT, and finally adding O&M through BCW...

I decided I would video about 2 minutes of how I help Lilah practice to stand, turn, pull her feet in and more.

Some of you may think I am being "tough" on her in this video...come spend 2 hours at PT and OT and then another hour later on in the afternoon of OT and see how hard we push her, work her, encourage her, etc. and then question me.

Lilah has a TON of fear. She doesn't know where she is in space. She doesn't "see" things like you and I do. She understands this world much differently.

Here is a small video of what we try to do at home to help.

(push pause on the music on the sidebar to hear)

Watching her cry like this....I must remain composed and her coach, but inside I want to scream out of sadness for her. Some days I want to take the disability away from her so she doesn't have to be afraid, so she can see and move and grow without such work, so people won't make fun of her eyes. Some days I think, "she'll get there on her own time" somedays I wonder, "will she?" and then some days I ask God, "why her?"

But...I don't stay in those places long. I am BEYOND grateful for Lilah. JUST as she is. I LOVE her...with every ounce of my being.

God gave me Lilah for a reason. Am I perfect with her? No way. Do I have a LOT to learn? OH YES! I strive each and everyday to help her, mold her, shape her, encourage her, and be an example to her.

3 comments:

Aaron Sharp said...

Give her a hug and some encouragement from daddy. I love you two so much.

BoomerSooner said...

I don't think you are being tough on her. I think you are an amazing mom and coach. Keep up the great work. It shows.

Gretchen said...

You rock and so does she!