"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mama Bear

Last year when Lilah was denied disability, I wasn't sure what to do. Her therapies were increasing, our trips to Atlanta were increasing...AND....our income was the same...we reached a crossroads. What to do?

As a stay-at-home Mom of 4 young children what could I do to help our situation? I couponed, cut spending, we downsized, sold items, etc. We were still in need. As very hands-on parents, we wanted to be with our children, but also provide for them. Well...that need grew into the start of a business.

About a year ago, my friends encouraged me to follow my dream and start a very small photography business. VERY slowly, and very privately I began to learn and grow and follow this path. I know that I am not the "best" nor am I the most "amazing" photographer, but I am learning, and growing, and trying my best to do what I can to help my family....all the while putting a smile on the face of my clients. I may be a joke to some, and that is ok, but I see nothing wrong in honoring your family by trying to help them out. This has enabled my family to not struggle as much as we were. My number one priority, other than God, is my family. I will do whatever I can to help them. Call it that " Mama Bear" instinct.

My Mom told me the other day that "Necessity is the Mother of invention."

I called my cousin Keith, a fellow photographer, and told him I was frightened to do this and that I feared I wasn't adequate enough. After a great pep talk and his encouragement about me having an "eye" he said, "I have been doing this for over ten years, and I still have a lot to learn."

So, I guess my thought is this...we all have to start somewhere...and for some reason. My reason for starting was Lilah...and my family.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

You've been such an encouragement to me and for that I thank you. I understand that fear and feeling of inadequacy. I experience that too. And for the same driven passion and motive, I hope to build a small business to help our sinking finances as well while doing something that I love. And the added bonus that it gives us the chance to still remain flexible as stay-at-home mom's. So many important blessings to cherish in all of that. Thank you again for your encouragement. It's really helped lift me up at times when I was doubting myself.

A Scattering said...

Katie, wishing you God's blessing on your enterprise and your mission with the light that is Lilah.

Anonymous said...

The reasons don't get any better!

K A R I™ said...

Katie, you don't know me but you have taken pictures of several of my friends and their families (too many to even list) and you really are an amazing photographer!!!

K A R I™ said...

P.S. and I just recommended some friends of mine that are looking for a photographer. I send them the link to your photo website.