"May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

~Romans 15:13

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Preschool "Trial"

On Monday and Wednesday of this past week Lilah spent some time in the 3 year old preschool class at Bloomingdale First Baptist. If you will remember, Penny, the director of the preschool told me that the church would love to have her, that they would give her a chance, but that if it didn't work out that we at least tried. She also said that she would even let her come and be a part of the class to see how she did and what she needed to work on to be class ready for September.

Monday Lilah spent about an hour in Ms. Amy's class. She painted, played with the other, "typically functioning" 3/4 year olds, and she loved each minute. Before she left the kids were asking the teacher when she would come back.

Wednesday Lilah had her second trial day. It was their Music Therapy day. Penny thought it would be a great experience for Lilah, and we could see how she interacted in the larger groups.

The Music Therapist was great. She rolled out different colored eggs to the kids that were filled to make noise when you shook them. She would play her guitar and ask the children to shake the egg when she called out a specific color. Lilah LOVED this!
As you can see, Lilah fit right in and bonded with the other children. Actually, the little girl to Lilah's left with the pink bow, clung to her like glue on Monday and Wednesday.
Then the Music teacher allowed each child to play on the bongo drum as they sang the "bye, bye" song.
I might have to invest to get this Music Therapist to come to my home to serve Lilah on a private basis. She was AWESOME!
Penny called me the night before and asked me if I wouldn't mind taking a picture for her when I came, so after the music therapy, we walked over to the sanctuary and I took some photographs for the school. (I cannot share those right now. They are a surprise)

After that Penny asked me if I wanted to try Lilah at snack time. She said they were having peaches. I said, "Lilah will LOVE that."

Here she is at the table with the other children during snack time.
Just one of the girls. LOVING school!
I cannot even begin to tell you how it warmed my heart to see my miracle like this.
Then Ms. Amy said they were going to go on the playground. She invited us to join them. The following images will bring tears to your eyes...even if you aren't a Lilah follower.

As you can tell Lilah has "kinesio tape" on her thighs. It is to help her muscles move more correctly. (I even use it for my plantar fasciitis. Its AWESOME!)


Ok. This right here. This move....
Took MONTHS at therapy to understand, perfect, gain strength, and lose the fear of. Lilah climbed up the stairs over and over ON HER OWN like she had been doing it for YEARS.
NOTHING stopped her.
She had SUCH a good time. Check out how HARD she played. The teachers looked at me when she slid down the slide and was covered in dirt. I said, "I am not mad because of the dirt. I LOVE this! She has worked SO hard to be able to play like this. I LOVE seeing the dirty knees and shoes. THIS is awesome!"
The wet slides, from the rain the previous night, didn't stop her. She was a MESS, but I LOVED it. Even the dirty water dripping from her dress!
Lilah even climbed up and slid down the "BIG" slide that the teachers told me the "normal" 3 year olds are too scared to try at first. Lilah has NO fear. Lilah is fighting and trying and pushing hard in this life.


As I watched Lilah play, was taking pictures happily, watching her LOVE this experience, Penny walked out the door and came over to me.

This is what she said, "I see no reason why she wouldn't shouldn't be in the school. Go ahead and register her for next year." My eyes filled with tears. I immediately stood up, hugged her and thanked her over and over.

They LOVE her. They really, really do. They accept her. They WANT her. They see her potential. They see her incredible desire and fight. They see she is a gift from God just like ALL of us are.
Happy Lilah swinging on the BIG swing all by herself. Happy girl LOVING life. Joyous Lilah...

is going to preschool in September!

Jesus,
Thank you for the silver linings you provide. Thank you for giving me the FIGHT to push hard for your blessing you have trusted in my care. Thank you for Bloomingdale First Baptist loving and accepting Lilah. Thank you that YOU, my Father, have provided such blessings daily for me and my children. I love you.
Katie


3 comments:

Sharon said...

This was my Easter gift - seeing Lilah. Thank you!! ox

Charlesjan said...

Praise God! She is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Janet said...

I have followed your blog for a couple of years, we adopted a son with Peter's Anomaly, and other mental problems. I haven't checked your blog in a while because we adopted 2 more kids in Dec, so life is busy. TOnight when I checked in, I noticed the chromosome 8 page....went to it, and read several post, remembering that I had read them before. But NOW;...our newest son has Mosaic Trisomy 8...extra chromosomes #8!
He also had a heart defect, and is missing the corpus callosum....I wonder how many other similarities there are??? We cannot find anyone else with Mosaic Trisomy 8.
I would love to talk to you sometime!